Although commercial modelling pastes are available it is easy, and much cheaper, to make your own paste when needed for components of a cake that need to dry hard and hold their shape. Gum tragacanth powder is available from all good cake shops on the high street or online.
225g / 8oz fondant icing / sugarpaste
5ml / 1 teaspoon Gum tragacanth
- Make a well in the fondant and add the powder
- Knead in well
- Wrap in a plastic bag (not cling film) and leave for a few hours or overnight to 'develop'
- Knead the paste again to make it workable and then mould required shape
- Leave moulded items to dry for as long as possible
- Turn items over carefully to dry underside of moulded item
- Fix items to cake using edible glue or royal icing and, if needed, support until 'glue' hardens